Fast Facts & FAQ's
At a Glance
- Based in Los Angeles, California, Rent.com has approximately 100 employees.
- Rent.com offers a free and convenient way for renters across the U.S. to find their next place. In addition, users signing a lease with a participating Rent.com property receive a $100 reward card. We've given $100 to nearly 2 million renters.
- Millions of renters visit our website each month to search our rental listings in all 50 states, major metro areas and over 3,500 cities nationwide.
- Rent.com officially launched in 2001 and was purchased by eBay, Inc. in 2005.
- A pioneer and leader in pay for performance advertising, Rent.com offers a pay-per-lease program for properties with 20+ units.
- Rent.com also offers a pay-per-listing program which allows owners and managers of properties with 19 units per building or less to list on our site for a flat monthly fee.
- Rent.com was acquired by PRIMEDIA, a leading vertical search company in the rental sector, in May 2012.
- April 2000 Launched as Viva.com with headquarters in Santa Monica, CA.
- November 2000 Raised $17 million in funding, led by seven of the largest apartment real estate investment trusts.
- May 2001 Purchased Rent.com domain name.
- October 2001 Re-Launched with the Rent.com name.
- July 2002 Turned cash flow positive.
- October 2004 Became the most visited national ILS.
- December 2004 Announced that Rent.com had been acquired by eBay.
- February 2005 eBay acquisition of Rent.com closes.
- July 2005 Rent.com hit 3.5 million unique visitors per month.*
- December 2005 Increased annual site visits to 35.8 million, an increase of 82% from 2004-2005.*
- October 2008 Reached 25,000 contracted property listings on the Rent.com site.
- November 2008 Mailed 1 millionth prepaid $100 Rent.com Visa® Reward Card.
- March 2011 Most visited national ILS for more than 5 years.
- March 2012 Primedia enters into an agreement with eBay to acquire Rent.com.
- May 2012 Primedia acquisition of Rent.com closes.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rent.com?
Rent.com is a national Internet listing site (ILS) in the rental housing industry that enables renters to find a residential rental property online.
What is Pay-Per-Lease?
Rent.com's business models are fully aligned with the revenue goals of our property customers. For properties that have 50 units or more, Rent.com charges a success fee when renters find their property on our website, sign a lease, and move in to one of their vacant units.
Does Rent.com have a program for owners/manager of properties with fewer than 20 units?
For owners with 1-19 units per property, Rent.com has a self-service model and we charge a flat monthly fee per listing. You only pay when you have a vacancy to fill.
How is Rent.com different than its competitors?
Rent.com was the first to launch an online rental resource with a pay-per-lease business model, which is directly aligned with the revenue goals of our customers. From a renter's perspective, we are the only ILS solely focused on connecting the renter with a rental property that meets their search criteria through a clean interface and a multi-faceted search algorithm. Any advertising on our website is relevant to the renter's moving process.
Does it cost anything to search for apartments on Rent.com?
No, searching for apartments is absolutely free. In fact, Rent.com rewards users with a $100 prepaid Visa® debit card if the renter uses Rent.com to find a rental home featuring the $100 reward card, moves in, and reports back to us that they communicated to the property that Rent.com was the source of their signed lease.
What if I don't find properties when I search?
If you're finding that no properties match your search, it's possible that you're being too specific with your search criteria and the exact combination of features you're looking for can't be found among our advertised properties. We suggest that you start with broader search criteria (like location and price) and narrow your preferences from there.
How can I communicate with properties that interest me?
When you register with Rent.com by providing your email address, you will have access to a toll-free phone number to contact those properties that interest you. You can also email the property manager directly through our site by clicking "Check Availability" on the property's full-page advertisement. Each property detail page also has the address of that property.
What is the process to receive the $100 Rent.com Visa® Reward Card?
Start by using Rent.com to find your new home. When you find a property that features the $100 Rent.com Reward Card icon, tell the leasing office you found the property on Rent.com when you visit. After signing the lease, report it on the Rent.com website. After verifying the information with the property, Rent.com will mail your $100 prepaid Visa® debit card.
Why do some properties feature the reward card while others don't?
The majority of our properties participate in the $100 prepaid Visa® debit card reward program. Others have chosen a monthly advertising fee, rather than the pay-per-lease model.