Let's Get Started, select where you are in the moving process:
During the first weeks following your move: Settle In to your New Place!
- Check the appliances, furnace and hot-water heater. Contact a repair service or the property manager if something is not working.
- Begin unpacking. Let's face it. Unpacking can take a few weeks. Force yourself to open every box. If you don't need these items in your new place, get rid of them and free up wasted space.
- Start making your new place feel like home. Once you've unpacked, decide where everything will go. Decorating will really help personalize your new space. Figure out if there's anything more you need to make it feel like home. Anything missing? You can find it on eBay.
- Make sure the right people have your new address. Check to see if you have begun to receive mail at your new place. Sign up to receive the local newspaper. Notify the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Motor Vehicles that you have moved. And please, don't forget to register to vote in your new community.
- Transfer your checking account to your new city. Or, just open a new account online in three easy steps. Your free checking account is just a few minutes away.
- Explore your new area. Take a walk in your neighborhood to get a good idea of what is around and where to find things. You might even meet a few neighbors during a walk.
- Take some time to find out what businesses are in your city. Stop by the local chamber of commerce for further information. Some retail stores, pharmacies, grocery stores and home improvement merchants send out "Welcome to the Neighborhood" coupons.