Let's Get Started, select where you are in the moving process:
The Day of the Move!
- Meet the movers. If you hired a moving company, take a moment to compare the mover's inventory with your records. Make sure you agree on the condition of your household goods. You may want to take photographs in case of a dispute. Be sure you receive a copy of the final inventory list. Get the driver's name and contact information, and give him contact numbers at the destination. Confirm directions to your new home with the driver.
- Check your home one last time. Once everything is loaded, walk through every room and check all the closets. You don't want to leave anything behind! Make sure the water, furnace and air conditioner are shut off, windows are shut and locked, and the lights are switched off.
- Upon arrival, ensure your new place is move-in ready. Check to see if your utilities have been connected. Before your stuff arrives, vacuum all the rooms and use disinfectant in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Meet the movers at your new home. Try to be at your new home before the movers arrive or you may be charged. Place a floor plan of your new home by the entrance, so the movers know where to place each piece of furniture. As the moving company unloads your items, check the condition of each box. Make a list of any missing or damaged items on the mover's copy of the inventory form. Since you will do most of the unpacking after the movers leave, it is a good idea to make a "subject to inspection for loss or concealed damage" note on the inventory form. By signing the inventory sheet, you are acknowledging receipt of all items listed. Be sure to report any loss or damage to the moving company as soon as you notice it. Make sure you know your rights and responsibilities before you move.
- Start with the necessities first. You guessed it - unpack the boxes labeled "Necessities." Place your toiletries and towels in the bathroom, sheets on the bed, and unpack any other items you'll need immediately.