One of the jewels of the south is being revitalized with fresh culture as job growth continues to rise and more and more people migrate. Yet, there are definitive traits that remain and make Charlotte the unique and special place that it is.
Call it what you want, but if you’re going to be calling it home, there are a few things you should know.
Real Charlotte locals know the following to be the daggum truth
1. We’re not Charlotters or Charlottites, we’re Charlotteans. And yes, we are fancy, thank you for noticing.
2. If you don’t want your iced tea sweetened, you have to specifically order it that way — and be prepared to receive weird looks.
3. When people say Uptown or Downtown, they’re usually talking about the same place.
4. The Booty Loop is not a cul de sac of strip clubs, but a popular route for jogging and biking, where the annual 24 Hours of Booty charity bike ride is held.
5. We take racing to another level. After all, we’re home to the NASCAR Hall of Fame and Charlotte Motor Speedway, which hosts the longest race of the season: The Coca Cola 600. Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.
6. Speed Street is one of the biggest (corporate-sponsored) parties of the year.
7. March Madness is practically a state holiday.
8. The most trusted name in local meteorology is Larry Sprinkle.
9. The moniker “Buzz City” is not a reference to the growing number of breweries, but the local NBA team, the Charlotte Hornets.
10. Neither is “Keep Pounding,” that one is a Carolina Panthers battle cry.
11. The PGA takes over south Charlotte every May for the Wells Fargo Championship, and you probably know someone with a ticket connection.
12. Banks built and still run this town.
13. Cities that don’t have Bojangles are to be pitied.
14. If Waffle House closes, Judgement Day is upon us.
15. You can recite your usual Cookout order from memory when intoxicated.
16. When you hear South Park, your first thought is the upscale mall and not the cartoon.
17. Carowinds isn’t just for kids, it’s the best adrenaline rush in town.
18. A day trip to the beach or the mountains are both very possible.
19. The U.S. National Whitewater Center is the best place to spend a hot summer day in town.
20. The Lynx is nifty for going into the city, but you pretty much need a car to survive here.
21. One must be prepared to greet or acknowledge any and everyone. It’s a very friendly place.
22. A lot of the apartment communities, townhomes and condos look the same, and they can’t build them fast enough.
23. Every time you leave your neighborhood you ask yourself, “When did they put that there?”
24. It doesn’t take much winter weather to shut the city streets down.
25. We like our burgers and hot dogs “Carolina style,” which includes chili, slaw, mustard and onions.
26. Somehow, it’s possible for a street to intersect itself here. Looking at you, Sharon.
27. Cheerwine won’t get you drunk, but it’s delightful.
28. Construction is constant, inevitable and infinite.
Did we miss anything?
Charlotte locals take a great deal of pride in their city and there’s a lot to love. So, y’all let us know if we missed anything in the comments section!