Whether you’ve lived in Omaha for a lifetime or just a few months, you start to realize these are the things Omahans believe to be true.
This is how you know if you are a TRUE Omahan
1. You never turn left on Dodge Street. Yes, everyone is aware that, legally, you’re allowed to turn left into a business, but you just don’t do it.
2. Catholic fish fries are the social event of the season each year. Bring your cooler and be ready to wait in line with a thousand of your soon-to-be best buddies.
3. You never kiss the Blarney Stone in front of The Dubliner. Just don’t.
4. The center of town is at 72nd Street. It’s not logical since the city extends past 200th Street, yet it’s still Midtown.
5. Sooner or later, you’re going to have a Warren Buffett story.
6. It takes only 20 minutes or less to get anywhere in Omaha. Omahans will cling to this theory even when it has been proven wrong.
7. Reuben sandwiches originated here. We have a Reuben Fest to prove it.
8. Our zoo IS the best zoo in the world. Don’t debate it with us.
9. There are two types of people in Omaha – those who embrace the College World Series and all the hoopla and crowds of people who come with it and those who are wrong.
10. You don’t really know a person until you know which high school they went to.
11. Aksarben is Nebraska spelled backwards, and depending on how old you are, it’s either a long-gone horse track or a little village of sorts in Midtown.
12. Complaining about potholes is a competitive sport. “No, Carol. The roads on MY drive to work are the worst in Omaha.”
13. You can play 7 Degrees of Alexander Payne with your friends.
14. Yes, Omaha Steaks are that good. And no, we don’t eat one at every meal.
15. It’s entirely possible to experience all four seasons in one day in Omaha.
Agree or disagree?
Disagree with our list or think we forget something? Let us know in the comments!
And if this lifestyle sounds great to you, there are plenty of apartments in Omaha calling your name.